The "Wash House"
The former Pittsburgh Wash House & Public Baths building (the "Wash House" for short) in Lawrenceville was constructed in 1903. The Wash House was the design of the noted architectural firm Rutan & Russell, the focus of philanthropic contributions of Henry J. Phipps and George Westinghouse, and the product of the Clothing & House Furnishing Bureau. At its height, the building contained public baths, a public laundry, space for mending and exchanging clothes, club rooms for men & women, a kindergarden classroom, a clinic, and an assembly room for the neighbors, and an elaborate rooftop garden.
Address: 3945 Butler St.
Status: Before City Council for landmark consideration