The People's Baths
The People's Bath House was Pittsburgh's first public bath house and was located at 16th and Penn Ave. in the Strip District (that building is unfortunately no longer with us). Due to popular demand, the Civic Club soon commissioned William James Carpenter to design a larger, newer facility in 1907 that was located further up Penn Ave. still in Pittsburgh's Strip District.
Now closed, the building has been repurposed several times and now houses a restaurant and general merchandise store. Although it is listed as a contributing structure to the Strip's National Historic District listing, it is the least known of Pittsburgh's remaining public bath houses.
Address: 1906 & 1908 Penn Ave.
Status: Landmarking discussions with owners.