The Westinghouse Memorial

  “Untitled Photograph,”  Carnegie Mellon University Architecture Archives’ Hornbostel Collection.

“Untitled Photograph,” Carnegie Mellon University Architecture Archives’ Hornbostel Collection.

On September 22, 1926 City Council granted the request to place the proposed George Westinghouse memorial in Schenley Park. Over the course of the next four years, the Westinghouse Memorial Association worked to raise funds, hire architects, sculptors, and landscape designers to bring the memorial into fruition.  Henry Hornbostel, Eric Fisher Wood, David Chester French, and Paul Fjelde would ultimate be selected for the architectural and sculptural components.

Over 55,000 Westinghouse Employees donated nearly $200,000 to make the memorial possible and its unveiling on October 6, 1930 was attended by more than 10,000 people.

The Westinghouse Memorial is significant for its association with Hornbostel, Wood, French, and Fjelde, its exceptional design approach, and its use of Modernism with Beaux Arts influences.  It is also notable as a prominent feature in Schenley Park.