Saving Albright United Methodist Church

Albright United Methodist Church faces an uncertain future.  It's owners (the congregation) have been planning for months to finish renovations and return the church to its former role as the beacon and center of the community in eastern Bloomfield.  The Church Conference, however, has partnered with Ross Development to create a plan that would demolish the church and replace it with a small strip mall and parking.

Preservation Pittsburgh has worked with the congregants of Albright United Methodist Church to research and record their history, which dates back to the early 19th century.  The current church, constructed in 1905-06, was the design of Pittsburgh architect Chancey W. Hodgden and is an excellent example of the Eclectic Style featuring Richardsonian Romanesque and Gothic Revival design elements.

The building is also notable for its extensive stained glass window program.  Totally 39 windows spanning each elevation of the building's facade, the church is also significant as it contains the largest art glass program in the city that is directly attributable to S.S. Marshall Bros. & Co.  Founded in the early 19th century in Allegheny City, the studio was one of the regions most prolific and specialized in pressed flint and lime and lime glass.

As the nomination has been accepted by the city, it will appear before the city's Historic Review Commission in November.  Please join us in supporting this nomination by writing a letter of support.

All letters to the HRC should be addressed to the Acting Chair Hogan and can be sent electronically to:

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required